Limburg

Only very few towns, such as Limburg, have remained virtually unscathed with the complete ensemble of mediaeval constructions. This is why the core of the town, which was once walled in between St. Georg's Cathedral (once the collegiate church in the Carolingian castle). Grabenstraße and the 600 year old stone bridge, is under protection of historical heritage.

Dom2 Domschatz Schloss Werner Senger Haus

Our supporting programme for your stay offers a wide range of possibilities of getting to know this exceptional town. A guided tour is highly worthwhile. Please ask us for details.

  • St. Georg's Cathedral

    St. Georgs Dom LimburgLimburg Cathedral, also known as Georg's Chathedral, takes the throne of Limburg's old town next to Limburg Castle. Its high position on the rock over the river Lahn makes sure that the Cathedral can be seen from a great distance. Today, the building is considered as one of the most accomplished achievements in late Romanesque architecture. However there are also elements of early Gothic clearly visible.

    The first recorded church on the "Limburg Rock" was built by the local lord of the district Niederlahn Konrad Kurzbold. In the nave of the present church you will still find the ground plans of the original building. The date of laying the foundation stone of today's Cathedral is not known. The consecration was carried out in 1235 by Archbishop of Trier, Theoderich von Wied. The Cathedral is dedicated to St. George and St. Nicholas of Myra.

    The diocese of Limburg was founded in 1827.

    The former collegiate church St. Georg was elevated to the rank of a cathedral.


    Architecture:

    The Cathedral is a basilica with three naves connecting the late Romanesque period with that of early Gothic. It has a narthex to the west and a semin-circular quire with sanctuary. The main structure is richly divided and has a total of seven spires. The highest of these spires at a height of 37 m from the distinct double tower façade. The pointed crossing tower overtops all other spires at a height of 66 m and forms the centre of the buildung.

    The western façade is divided into five floors. The eye-cathing style element is a large wheel window surrounded by eight small rosettes. Apart from this you will find many varieties of forms and structural elements such as round arch friezes, pilaster strips, solumns, archivolts, windows and blind arches. The original external plaster was reconstructed 1968 - 1972 under strict observance of some older remains which is why the Cathedral shines again today in an abundance of colour.

    The light inside of the Cathedral has four floors with arcades, galleries, triforiums and clerestory. The Cathedral of Reims is partly seen as an archetype for Limburg Cathedral.

  • Cathedral Treasury with Staurotheque

    Domschatz mit StaurothekThe Limburg staurotheque is a cross reliquary originating in Byzantinum 945 to 959. A staurotheque (frim Greek stauros = cross, theke = box) is a vessel in which a particle of Christ's cross is kept.

    Limburg's staurotheque was donated in the 10th Century by the bytantine emperors Constantine VII. Porphyrogennetos and Romanos II. During the 4th crusade the knight Heinrich vion Ulmen (Eifel) carried the staurotheque to Germany together with many other pieces of byzantine treasure. The reliquary came to the Augustinian convent Stuben near Bremm on the Mosel as his donation. When the convent was dissolved at the end of the 18th Century it was brought to the fortress Ehrenbreitstein near Koblenz where it came to be owned by the Prices of Nassau-Weilburg. The latter presented it to the diocese of Limburg in 1835. The extraordinary reliquary is kept in the Cathedral Museum in Limburg an der Lahn.

    Further information about the staurotheque and the Cathedral Tresury can be foung here.

  • Limburg Castle

    Limburger SchlossResidence of the district lords and masters of Limburg

    Since Merovingian times, around 800 at the latest, there has been some kind of castle on the rock, which was a roadway protection on one of the Lahn crossings. In the 9th Century the district lords resided there on order of the Franconian Kings and in the 10th Century the enclosure was owned by the Conradians who founded the monastry of St. George, the present cathedral, in 910 within the stronghold of "Limburc". From the 13th Century onwards the eastern part of the castle became the home of the masters of Limburg and as such became more of a manor house.

    When the Conradinians died out the castle passed to the House of Isenburg and in the 14th Century to the electorate of Trier. The castle was then the administration centre for Limburg and the surrounding posessions of the electorate of Trier. In 1802 it was passed over to Nassau, in 1866 to Prussia and from this time onwards part of it has stood empty. In 1929 the late Gothic hall burned down and was reconstructed in 1934 and 1935.

  • Werner-Senger-Haus (Rütsche 5)

    Werner-Senger-Haus LimburgPrison to Germay's famous outlaw Schinderhannes and bears the name of one of Limburg's great donators.   

    The "Werner-Senger-Haus" is a memorial to a rich salesman of Limburg who lived in the area of the shoe market and bequeathed his fortune to the town of Limburg in 1358 with the condition that the sick and pilgrims should always have a roof over their heads. This endowment was the basis of a trust which still exists today as citizen hospital endowment fund and is administrated by the twon council.

    The building was constructed in the 14th century and has one of the most beautiful façades in Limburg's old town. Above the entrance you can read "Erbaut 1250" (trans. Built 1250). However this year refers to the previous house which burned down in 1289. The cross vault cellar is known as the Schinderhannes cellar because this is where the outlaw Schinderhannes who was captured in Wolfenhausen was imprisoned in the years 1802 to 1803.

  • Old Lahn Bridge

    Alte Lahnbrücke LimburgThe trade route from Antwerp to Byzantinum went across this bridge at the bottleneck of Limburg

    At the waggoners hostel on the Heumarkt (trans. Hay Market) in Cologne you could read exactly how the waggon had to be loaded so that it could pass this narrow point in Limburg. For those who were illiterate there was a frame you could drive through with the appropriate measurements. And still many waggons got stuck in Limburg as the roads were more like today's field tracks. As the old covered waggons could no longer pass. The guild of the sack carriers then formed up. They unloaded the waggons so that they could pass the bottleneck and then loaded them again on the other side. This was evidently a lucrative business. The sack carriers were colloquially known as "sackers". A name which has remained through t o present day and is the nickname for the people of Limburg.